Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gluten Free Success

To some people reading this post it may seem silly to see someone so excited of a loaf of bread and to be honest I may have thought the same thing over a year ago. 1 year ago this month I was dx with ulcerlative colitis and changed my life forever. After a bunch of trial and error it seems like being gluten free relieves my symptoms and helps me to live a relatively normal life. Back in June I stopped taking my Rx meds after further researching the side effects in an attempt to control my UC by myself. To this point it has been successful as well as extremely frustrating and depressing. I am someone who loves to bake and eat treats so making something that only turns out 1 of every 10 times was a big blow to my ego. I have always wanted to be the mom that when the kids get home from school or have friends over the house smells of delicious baking items. That everyone talks about what a great cook I am. And I frequently have to remind myself I can still do that it just will take me a lot more practice and patience. The one thing that keeps me going in this is that my father in heaven wouldn't have given this to me if he didn't think I would figure this out. So for the time now I am taking it one recipe at a time but for the 1st time in a year I made a loaf of bread that wasn't flat, dense, or strangely textured. I actually became pretty emotional as I took it out of the oven and immediately had to have Matt come look at it for fear I was dreaming. And the best part it doesn't taste GF...but then again that is the point!

1 comment:

The Holmgrens said...

Hooray for the simple pleasures of life, except this really isn't that simple, it's a big boost on the 'I can do this' scale. xo