Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A New Year=A New Addition


On Friday Jan 6, 2012 our little girl hadn't arrived so we headed to the hospital to be induced. I had called my mom Wednesday after my dr appt and she made arrangements to be here Thursday so she could stay with Hallie while I was in the hospital. We had to be there by 7:30AM so we got up about 7 got ready and headed in to the hospital. The more I really thought about what was going to happen the more anxious and nervous I got. We got checked in and settled into our room by about 8:30AM. My nurse came to place my IV and Dr Boheen came to break my water all about 8:45 they had decided not to start my pitocin sooner because I had gone so quickly with Hallie. When Dr. Boheen broke my water I was dialated to a 6+ and she suggested if I wanted an epidural(which I totally did) to get it before they started my pitocin. So about 9 I got my epidural and they started my pitocin. Matt and I just visited as we waited.

One detail I want to remember is that Matt always thought she would come on the 5th or 6th so he was very proud of himself that he was right. Dr Boheen visited with us and the nurses she said she wasn't leaving because as soon as she did she would have to come back and she was right. After about an hour or turning from side to side to help speed things up Dr Boheen checked me at 9:20 and said I was complete and said to the nurse to set up for delivery the nurse said did you say she is a 7 and Dr Boheen replied no set it up she is complete. Matt jokingly said do you think we could have a baby by 10:30? Dr Boheen informed him that was probably a little optimistic but it turned out to not be so far off. After 3 contractions of pushing(3 sets of pushing per contraction) our new little one arrived at 10:34AM. My initial thought was that she was a lot bigger than Hallie and that turned out to be pretty true. Weighing in at 7lbs 9oz and 19.5 in she was 1lb and 1oz bigger than her sister(boy was I glad we hadn't waited another week for her). She has more and darker hair than Hallie and didn't really look like Hallie at all. She has the same big eyes and good temperament but that was about it.



It is really hard to believe that in a matter of a couple hours we had gone from a family of 3 to a family of 4 but I think we are still letting that one sink in.


I was really bummed because with RSV and an outbreak of pertussis they had very restrictive visitation so we could only have 2 visitors and no one under 14 so Hallie couldn't even come visit(was not happy about this). Hallie was very nervous and couldn't understand why I had to have an IV and couldn't hold her and most of all why I had to come to the hall to visit and couldn't go home with her and she couldn't see the baby but luckily she is still at the age that she is easily distracted. Since I have had Hallie they have also changed a few other things they bathed the baby in our room and Matt got to do her footprints on top of also getting to help with the bath. He did an awesome job even the tech was impressed. It was fun because I got to watch and take pictures.


Daddy loving cuddle time after her bath

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is pretty exciting! We just welcomed our second little one into our family two weeks ago. We are still trying to get used to the idea of having two little ones to look after :P

*karen* said...

I am so happy everything went nice and smooth, it didn't even sound like a stressful day at all! We are so happy for you both! Congratulations over and over!

Kim Boog said...

Whats her name?!?!?!?!??!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations you guys! She is so beautiful and I thinks she looks like Hallie! Yay for going fast and having a safe delivery! There is nothing so special in the world is there! Congrats!

DGri said...

congrats!