Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Remembering Grandpa Norr Weekend

On May 3 at 92 yrs young, grandpa passed away in his sleep in the recliner that he loved to sit and rock in. After a fun day of going to see the temple in Brigham City and a stop for ice cream after dinner he told the aide he was tired and was going to have a rest the next time they went to check on him, he had passed away. We received the call shortly after attending Kim's dental hygiene pinning. I was glad we were all able to be together, minus Nate that was away at youth conference. Nic really had a hard time seeing as it was also her birthday. Grandpa always had a special spot for Nic so it almost seemed fitting that he would want to be reunited with grandma on her special day. But on a positive note it ment that we would get to spend another weekend together. On Wednesday my dad and Maddi headed to Utah while my mom stayed behind until Nate was done with school on Friday. On Thursday Nic and I loaded up the kids and headed to Tremonton to help my dad go through grandpas stuff. As we went through his belonging I actually enjoyed seeing different "stuff" that jogged our memories of time with grandpa. After the 1st box I noticed that Maddi wanted to keep anything that none of the rest of us didn't want. After talking to her we realized that she didn't get to grow up with grandma and grandpa as her second parents and therefore doesn't have as many memories of them which then lead to the discussion that physical items wont make you miss them any less or create more memories. It was at that moment that I realized the best thing to do is to keep the memories close to your heart, talk about your lost loved one often until the day when you can then be reunited to make more memories. While cleaning out the boxes grandma was so good to watch the kids. I am so glad my kids are getting to know the grandma that never existed when I was little. She has become a more patient, loving and thoughtful person. She is great with the kids. Saturday was the funeral. We got up early and headed to Deweyville. We had a great turn out and I couldn't get over how beautiful the flowers were. Since grandpa was in the military he was buried with military honors....which was way cool.





Trumpet player and riffle shots
Folding the flag to present to family



 Presenting shell casings to family
Saluting the family after flag presentation

 Pallbearers placing boutineers on casket

     


I really enjoyed the funeral once we got the girls to fall asleep. It was a mostly happy memory filled talks. Most of my memories of grandpa were ones that grandma would tell him to leave us girls alone and he would go out to his wood shop to get away from us or sit on the back patio rocking with a pepsi in hand. After grandma passed away all that changed he became the loving nurturing one. He came to all of our special events(volleyball games, graduations, baby blessings, ect). I am happy that my girls at least got to meet and spend sometime with the grandpa that helped raise me. He and my grandma are in most if not all of my wonderful childhood memories. Although Im selfishly sad I am really very happy that grandpa has now been reunited with my grandma that he has missed very much for a long time. At times like these the only comfort we have are the promises the gospel gives us now and in the life to come. It was a great day to honor a great man. See ya later grandpa!

No comments: